Your instructor may give you a video assignment, and Kaltura makes it easy for students to record a video directly from their browser or upload and embed an existing video file.
In this article, you will learn how to record in-browser and upload an existing video to make your assignment submission.
If you want to learn more about Kaltura Capture (requires download) and Quick Capture (no download required; Good for Chromebooks) and how to embed your recordings, read the related articles.
How to record in-browser
1. Open the video assignment in your Canvas course, and then click Start Assignment in the top-right corner of the page.
2. The media tab will open below the assignment instructions. Click the Record/Upload Media button.
3. The Record Media tab contains your audio/video options and recording controls.
1. Mic - Click to choose a microphone.
2. Webcam - Click to choose a webcam.
3. Start recording - Click to start recording.
4. Click Finish to stop the recording. Click Start Over if you need to make a new video.
5. You can review and name your video before submitting it.
1. Play/Pause: Click to review your video.
2. File Name: Type your video name here. Use some part of your name and the assignment name or number or whatever naming convention your teacher has specified.
3. Start Over: Click to record again if you are not satisfied with your video.
4. Save Media: Click to save the video.
6. Click Submit Assignment in the Media tab to submit your video.
How to upload an existing video file
1. Follow steps 1 through 3 above. After clicking Record/Upload Media, click the Upload Media tab.
1. Select Audio File: Choose an audio file to upload. Click if your instructor has asked for audio only.
2. Select Video File: Choose a video file to upload.
2. Click Submit Assignment in the Media tab to submit your video.
How to review your video submission
1. Open the video assignment in your Canvas course, and then click Submission Details in the top-right corner of the page.
2. You have several ways to interact with your video submission from this page.
A. Click on the video thumbnail to review your submission.
B. View your grade (if posted) and any notes on the rubric (if included).
C. Click to re-submit the assignment (if required or needed).
D. Type in the box to add a comment for your submission.
E. Click the blue text links to add a media comment or file.
F. Click to save any comments, media comments, or attached files.
NOTE: If you have a question about your assignment, please directly message your teacher for the fastest response. Instructors may not know if you have commented on your video.