To make your Gradebook appear in a logical, useful way, you can modify the settings in the Grades area of your course. Or you can manually organize your Assignments, which will have an impact on the default presentation of items in your Gradebook.
- Column View Options under Grades
- Assignment Order under Assignments
Column View Options under Grades
You can easily organize the output of your Grades by customizing the View Options under Grades Settings.
1. Click on Grades in your course navigation links. Then click the Gear icon in the upper-right corner of the screen.
2. Then click the View Options tab. The options tab offers a few ways to customize your Gradebook. Skip to step 3 for the arrangement options.
A. Arrange by: This dropdown menu provides the most useful option to organize your Gradebook.
B. Show: Check or uncheck boxes to customize what is shown in the Grades.
C. Status Color: You can customize the names of these tags, which can be applied to individual student submission cells within the Gradebook.
3. Click on the Arrange By dropdown menu to see several ways to customize the columns in your Gradebook.
1. Arrange by Assignment Name - Use to sort your grade columns alphabetically. You can sort in two directions.
2. Arrange by Due Date - Use to sort your grade columns by due date from newest to oldest or vice versa.
3. Arrange by Points - Use to sort your grade columns by points value low to high or vice versa.
4. Arrange by Module - Use to sort your grade columns based on the organization of items within your modules. The arrangement can be done from first to last module or vice versa.
Assignment Order under Assignments
If you don't modify the column view settings in Grades, your Gradebook may appear in an undesirable order. For example, in the screenshot of a Gradebook below, you will notice that a week 8 quiz appears before a week 4 assignment.
The disorganized Gradebook view (shown above) is the result of a disorganized Assignments area.
In the screenshot below, you will see that the assignments in the green box are out of order, going from lesson 8 to 6 to 9.
To restore order to your gradebook, you will need to manually reorganize the items in the Assignments area of your course.
How to manually re-organize your Assignments area
You can either (1) click the eight dots on the left side of the tile of the assignment that is out of order to drag it into order, or you can (2) click on the three option dots on the far right side of the assignment tile, and then click Move To..., which allows you to move that assignment to any position within the current assignment category.
Note: If your assignments are separated into assignment groups, then you can only order the items within the groups, which will make "chunks" of assignments that appear in order (E.g., Assignment 1, 2, 3; Quiz 1, 2, 3; Discussion 1, 2, 3). If you want to see your Gradebook organized by date or other aspects, read about the enhanced Gradebook filters.