For instructors, the Zoom integration within Canvas serves as portal to your UCSD Zoom licensed account. In order for Canvas to seamlessly sync your Canvas and Zoom accounts, you must first update your email address in Instructorlink to your @UCSD email which will then update to Canvas (How to change your email address).
Login into Canvas.
Enter your course and click on the Zoom menu item. If you don’t see it listed in your course menu you may need to activate it in your course: How to Manage the Course Menu.
If you have already installed the app and set up your pro-account, then your account should automatically sync and you will see the Schedule a Meeting option.
If your account doesn’t sync up please see The Zoom menu link is not working in Canvas (Instructors).
Schedule a Meeting
Once your Canvas and Zoom accounts are synced you should see the Schedule a Meeting button when you click on the Zoom menu item from your course.
Fill out the meeting settings
- Topic: The title of your meeting
- When: Date and time of the meeting
- Duration: Total amount of time the meeting will run for (you can enter a meeting early)
- Recurring meeting: Meetings that will be used more than once in the course (e.g., weekly discussion meetings)
- Registration: Leave this unchecked.
- Passcode: Select only if you plan on sending your students a passcode that they must enter before joining the meeting.
- Waiting Room: Select only if you want to manually allow each user to join the meeting when they go to attend (if you do not "ok" them at the time of the meeting, they will not be able to join).
- Require authentication to join: We recommend unchecking this as it requires users to first log into Zoom. Never choose the UCSD or UC System options, these are set-up for campus students and selecting this option will lock your Extended Studies students out of the meeting.
- Video Host/Participant: select whether you'd like your participants' video to be automatically turned on or off
- Meeting Options:
- We recommend enabling "enable join before host", "mute participants upon entry" and "use personal meeting id"
- If you'd like recordings of the meeting, select "Record the meeting automatically" and save the recording in the cloud.
Click Save. You will now see the conference appear under Upcoming Meetings. Canvas will automatically create a Calendar event and an Inbox conversation will be sent to your students about this meeting. Depending on each users' notification preferences, this may send an alert regarding this meeting.
*If you are Recording the Meeting please note:
- Recordings made 'In the Cloud' will provide you with a link to share with your class and be available in your Course Zoom area by clicking the Recordings tab. The recording will only be stored and accessible on the Zoom Cloud for 30 days.
- If you want to use the recording for longer than 30 days, we suggest you choose to record 'On the local computer' or download off the Zoom Cloud and upload to Kaltura using these directions: Download your Zoom recording and share with your course.
- If your 30 days has expired and you did not save a local copy of your video you can try accessing the recording using these directions: How to download Zoom Cloud Recordings after 30 days.
To learn more about Zoom:
If you need Zoom support please contact Computing Services: firstname.lastname@example.org