Depending on how your instructor set up the course, you may or may not have the ability to edit or delete your own discussion thread. If, after following the instructions below, you find that the edit/delete option has been disabled, contact your instructor so that they may decide whether to edit/delete the thread for you or to enable this setting in their course.
- Within your course, click Discussions.
- Click on the title of the discussion to navigate to the specific thread you want to edit or delete.
- Scroll to your specific thread and click on the actions menu (icon with three dots) to view your options.
- Click on either Edit or Delete.
- Edit: Make your changes and click Done.
- Delete: Confirm that you wish to delete your post. If other users have already replied to your post, their responses will not be affected by this action.
NOTE: When you edit or delete a discussion post, Canvas will show an 'Edited by' or 'Deleted by' label on your post. The label will contain your name and the date/time that the post was edited or deleted. This label cannot be removed. If there are no replies to your thread when you delete it, then Canvas will not display this message.
- If Canvas indicates that your instructor disabled the ability to Edit or Delete, then contact your instructor and they will be able to provide a workaround.
- If successful, Canvas displays a message that you have successfully edited or deleted your thread (only if there are replies to your specific thread).
- If there are no replies to your thread at the time of deletion, then Canvas will not display a message when you delete your thread.