Kaltura offers the ability to view analytics on course media that has been uploaded or created using the Kaltura Media tool. Their Analytics tool allow you as the instructor the option to access data such as:
- How many views your videos getting and visibility into date trends.
- The amount of time users are viewing your videos and at what point do students stop watching the video.
- Where in the world are your videos being viewed and on what type of devices.
It is important to understand the Kaltura Analytics does have limitations and may not be 100% accurate. The data should not be used to justify grades or determine participation but rather to help you better understand how students are engaging with your course media.
View Analytics for one Media item
1. From within Canvas click on Account the drop down to My Media (Kaltura)
2. Locate the video you want to view data on and click the Analytics icon to the right that looks like a graph.
3. This will launch the Analytics page. The default date range is 30 days, you can edit this date range by clicking the date range drop down on the upper right and choosing Date Range > Specific Date Range > enter your dates and click Apply.
A video summary appears at the top, with each section broken down into greater detail as you scroll down the page.
View Analytics on the Section level
You can enable the Media Gallery in your course to see analytics for the specific course offering. We recommend waiting until the course has ended to enable the Media Gallery as it will be available to students.
1. Enter the course and click Settings > Click on the Navigation Tab
2. Drag the Media Gallery from the lower section to the upper section and click Save at the bottom. This will allow you to access the Media Gallery from your course menu.
3. Click on Home to get back to your course and then click on the new menu item Media Gallery
4. On the upper right click on the Channel Actions icon and drop down to Analytics
5. The default date range is 30 days, you can edit this date range to match your course start and end date by clicking the date range drop down on the upper right and choosing Date Range > Specific Date Range > enter your dates and click Apply.
A course summary appears at the top, with each section broken down into greater detail as you scroll down the page.
If you have questions about how to take informed action based on these analytics please reach out to Instructional Excellence at email@example.com.