Download and install the Respondus LockDown Browser for your system. Note: It is up to the instructor to allow or prohibit iPad use for exams. Refer to your syllabus or contact your instructor to find out if iPad is an option for you.
- Start the browser, either by finding the icon on your desktop, looking in your Applications folder (Mac) or by clicking "Start" and scrolling down to the application (Windows). You may be prompted to close other applications. Select Close Applications to continue, or quit LockDown Browser and relaunch it once you have closed other applications.
- Log into course and select exam. LockDown Browser will automatically open the Canvas login screen. After logging in, navigate to the exam as normal. Note: If a student tries to access the exam using a regular browser, they will encounter a message indicating that they must instead use LockDown Browser, as shown here.
- Take the exam. Once the exam has started, students are locked into the exam. They’re unable to access any other applications or open any other tabs while in the exam. Once the exam is completed, students are permitted to exit the browser and their computer will return to its normal state. If a student needs to exit the exam before submitting it (for example, in case of an emergency or internet failure), they are required to enter a reason for exiting the exam early.
For more in depth steps and further information, please see the links below:
- Respondus LockDown Browser: The Student Experience
- Student Quick Start Quide
- LockDown Browser Student Video
- Student Support FAQ