Update 01/24/22 8 a.m. PST
Kaltura support implemented a fix to resolve this issue in Firefox v96+. If you've implemented the workaround previously suggested on 01/13/22, you can reset those settings to default to restore the security settings of your browser.
Update 01/13/22 12:30 p.m. PST
Kaltura support plans to resolve this issue on Sunday, 1/23/22. The simplest workaround is to use a different browser until then.
For users who still want to be able to view the Kaltura course videos prior to this date in Firefox, there is a workaround that updates a setting, although resulting in reducing the security of your Firefox browser. These are the steps if you want to implement the workaround in Firefox v96+:
- Open Firefox, type "about:config" in the address bar without quotes.
- If you've never visited this page before, click the "Accept the Risk and Continue" button on the "Proceed with Caution" warning page. Otherwise, proceed to step 3.
- Enter "laxByDefault" in the search box.
- Set the "network.cookie.sameSite.laxByDefault" setting from true to false.
As reminder, by making this change, you are reducing the security of the browser. If you're using Chrome, you can disable extensions for instructure.com and check if your browser blocks kaltura cookies by following the steps below:
- Click on the lock icon
- Click Cookies
- If kaltura.com appears in the "Blocked" area, click the link, then click Allow, and refresh your page.
The latest Firefox release, version 96, updated users' browsers as early as 1/11/2022, causes issues with Kaltura course videos embedded within Canvas and Kaltura tools to launch them.
To view the Kaltura course videos or tools, you will need to use a different browser (such as Chrome) or reinstall the previous version of Firefox and disable automatic updates.
We have reached out to Kaltura support on 1/12/22 at 11:09 a.m. (PST) to troubleshoot and provide a solution and will update this article as soon as we get an update by EOD 1/13/22.
Please Submit a Help Request if you need further assistance.