The Icon Maker provides quick and easy tools for creating simple icons within a Canvas course. These icons can be reused in multiple places within a course acting as a consistent visual indicator for course content. Additionally, the icons can be turned into course or web links that lead users to different locations.
To get started, navigate anywhere is Canvas where the Rich Content Editor (RCE) is present (ex, Page, Assignment or Discussion).
1. In the Rich Content Editor, click the Icon Maker icon (image of multiple shape figures).
2. To create new icons, click the Create Icon Maker Icon option (1). The Saved Icon Maker Icons option is where prior icons are managed (2).
3. This will launch the Icon Editor window on the right. Go through the options and customize as you like. You can choose a shape, color, and text that will appear within. Be sure to keep the icon accessible to all by filing out the Alt Text field. A preview of what you have selected will appear up top. Once you have completed click Apply at the bottom of the window and it will appear in your text editor.
4. If you would like to turn this icon into a course or web link, select the icon within the RCE and click the link icon, drop down to choose what type of link you would like to add (External or Course).
5. Follow the steps of adding a link and save when you are done. Don't forget to test the link after you have added it using Student View.